4 Right Conversations To Talk Your Business Past Problems And Into Growth.
Almost any problem can be solved with a conversation.
The right conversation that is.
Regardless of the problem or the extent of the damage you are facing, if you can create the right conversation, you can restore balance and order to what is otherwise an unmanageable situation.
Think about it.
- Saying "I'm sorry" solves most personal problems.
- Saying "I will do better next time" enables you to create hope.
- Saying "It's my fault" immediately shows accountability.
Conversation is what makes that possible.
The right conversation.
Chances are if you're struggling to build business momentum or to put out fires, you need to improve your conversation abilities.
Here are a few simple guidelines for you.
- Be painfully honest about your own shortcomings. It is always the wrong conversation topic to blame someone else -- even if it might really be their fault. If you have skin in a game that has ended badly, you need to take ownership for that. It builds respect. And gives you an opportunity to lead that change.
- Be clear about what you can do better. But don't go overboard. Don't over-promise how quickly you can solve their current problem. It takes time to repair most problems. Don't put yourself at an unfair disadvantage by over-promising and under-delivering. Any progress is amazing. Don't waste your skills.
- Be quick about having the conversation. Even the best conversation will turn out to be the wrong conversation if it's delivered too late. Say what needs to be said as soon as possible and as clearly as possible. Don't make excuses. Just get it over with.
- Be strategic with your words. Apologizing always present an opportunity for you to have a meaningful conversation with people that you can do business with. Use that time wisely. While your apology should not turn into a "pitch session", you can create curiosity about new ways to deliver better results in the future.
If you can get in the habit of creating better conversations, you'll see that you consistently deliver better results.
The right conversations does that.
Regardless of the size of the problem, a strategic conversation can get you out of trouble and headed towards growth.
Don't buy into the ego of experts telling you to "stop talking about it and just do something". You can waste valuable energy and effort working towards relationships that are ruined because you couldn't use the right words at the right time.
The truth is -- if you're not getting the results that you want, chances are you are not having the right conversation. And you can start fixing that right now.
Start talking your way out of any problems and headed towards growth.
(open your mouth......)