The psychology behind success presents an interesting picture. Subconsciously we associate forward progress with upward progress.
Think about some of the common expressions that we use:
- Get up. After you have taken a fall.
- Make up. Especially to those you love.
- Stand up. When you really care about something.
- Chin up. Even though life is rough.
- Move up. Step by step by step by step.
- Own up. Sometimes you get it wrong.
- Pay up. Success is a big investment.
- Touch up. Focus on the details.
- Grow up. Stop expecting life to treat you fair.
- Look up. Have big dreams. Expect big success.
Success is about up.
Which is ironic because a lot of our business strategy is based in selfish personal behavior -- behavior that has nothing to do with anything that is up.
- Up is about less fear and more vision.
- Up is about hope and health and healing.
- Up is about looking within for inspiration.
Selfishness is less vision, less healing, and more looking around my approval and comfort. It's the opposite of up.
Which is if you don't know which direction you are headed, chances are you're frustrated by the results you're getting right now.
And that leaves you really only two options: You can keep your head up. Or you can put your head down.
The choice is yours.
Why not aim up?
And then do everything you can to find your way there.
It's the place you always been looking for.